Policy Governing NRGs
With a view to promote, nurture and sustain a mutually beneficial and symbiotic relationship between the State of Goa and the vast and diverse Indian Community of Goan origin overseas, the Government of Goa has established a Commission for NRI Affairs as a separate entity w.e.f. 23rd February 2006. Presently Dr. Wilfred Menezes Mesquita is the Commissioner for NRI Affairs in the rank and status of a Cabinet Minister.
The Commission strives to establish an Institutional framework to benefit from networking with and among the Overseas Indians of Goan origin. In particular, the Commission pursues the following objectives as a matter of policy:-
(1) Deal with all matters relating to Overseas Indians comprising Persons of Goan Origin and Non-Resident Indians from Goa;
(2) Interact with the Overseas Indians of Goan Origin on a sustainable basis and address their needs and concerns through formulation of appropriate policies and programmes;
(3) Provide advisory services and forge working relationships with the Goan Diaspora across the world in financial, economic, social and cultural spheres;
(4) Strengthen the bond between Goa and overseas Indians of Goan origin through celebration of events;
(5) Promote investment by Overseas Indians of Goan Origin in various economic activities consistent with the overall State policies, particularly in areas such as Special Economic Zones (SEZs);
(6) Interact with the MOIA and Indian Missions abroad on all matters relating to emigration under the Emigration Act, 1983;
(7) Collect and disseminate information concerning admissions of NIR/PIO students of Goan origin to various educational, technical and cultural institutions in Goa and other parts of India;
(8) Provide assistance to Goan Youth who have acquired vocational and technical training in skilled manpower for gainful employment in overseas countries through establishment of Overseas Recruitment Agency in coordination with MOIA;
Through this Policy, the Commission will strive to meet the expectations of the Goan Diaspora across the world in a manner that will best serve the interest of Goa, as a rapidly developing State of India.